Veganism is a huge conduit for fighting climate change, and it’s the one thing you can do immediately that will make the biggest impact.
Animal agriculture contributes more to climate change and global warming than all fossil fuels combined.
- 780 million people worldwide do not have access to clean water and 2.5 billion do not have proper sanitation.
- By 2025 there will be 1.8 billion people living with absolute water scarcity.
- Farming accounts for around 70% of all freshwater withdrawn from lakes, waterways and aquifers.
- Meat production, especially the feeding of cattle, is a particularly water-intensive process.
- Livestock production accounts for over 8% of global human water consumption.
- Estimates of the water required to produce a kilo of beef vary, from 13,000 litres up to 100,000 litres. The water required to produce a kilo of wheat is somewhere between 1,000-2,000 litres.
- Agricultural products account for 73% of the total water footprint.
Source: Vegetarian Society